Monday, April 16, 2012

Running in the HEAT

So it was only 75 degrees according to my car's thermostat, although the bank on the way home said 79. I wanted to get 3-4 miles in, just maintence before the half this weekend. By mile 2.5 my head started to throb. Just a little, but still, it was there, that throb in the forehead that I became all too familiar with in all my summer runs last year(and the year before that...).
I am not sure why this happens(I mean besides the obvious - it's HOT out there and I am exercising in it) and I wish I knew if other runners get the "throb" and what they do about it.
I looked in the mirror about 25 minutes after the run and my face was beet red! My face normally gets a bit red after a long run, but nothing like this.
Yes I drank my water before, during and after the run, and I even had 3 sports beans mid-way(just because, not like I really needed them in the middle of a 4 mile run) and still the throb found it's way to my forehead.
I feel fine now, hours later, and it didn't become a headache, soooo, does this ever happen to any of you? And what do you do about it?
With the Asbury Park half quickly approaching, and the Long Branch half two weeks later, I am a bit scared of what the weather could entail during these races.  This should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment